Yields 4 entrée or 6 appetizer-sized servings
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup of farro
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 pound mixed meaty mushrooms (brown, cremini, baby portobello, shiitake, or wild), trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 8 cups baby arugula leaves (about 3 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 small bulb fennel, trimmed, cored, and very thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups Laura Chenel’s Goat Cheese Crumbles for food service, or crumble Original Log
- Cook the farro according to package directions. Drain if necessary and transfer to a medium bowl. Add the onion, vinegar, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the oil and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce and salt and pepper to taste and remove from the heat.
- Arrange the arugula on plates or a platter. Stir the parsley and more salt and pepper to taste into the farro mixture, then scatter the mixture over the arugula. Top with the mushrooms, fennel, if using, and goat cheese and serve.