From the early creation of fresh goat cheese on a small Sebastopol farm to its current home in the new state-of-the-art creamery in Sonoma County’s Carneros region, Laura Chenel’s Chèvre has grown along with America’s increasing appreciation of goat milk cheese. From its inception, Laura Chenel’s Chèvre has been acknowledged as America’s first name in chèvre.
Laura Chenel is the recognized “pioneer” of American goat cheese production. In the late 1970’s and early 1980’s she established the prototype that allowed numerous new goat cheese makers to flourish.
In 2006 Laura sold the company to the Rians Group, owns by the Triballat family, French artisan cheese producers with a commitment to the same level of quality, tradition and artisan technique that Laura herself held. She was able to choose a successor who would remain true to the spirit of the brand. Laura Chenel’s has become the harmonious blending of French technique and Sonoma terroir.
After selling her goat herd to a California dairy in 2010, Laura fully retired. The creamery employees and the 16 family dairies in California and Nevada continue our deep commitment to the original concept of innovative, quality cheesemaking.
- All of our cheeses are gluten free.
- All of our cheeses are rBST free.
- Our cheeses are made with living cultures.
- Our cheeses are GMO free and we never knowingly use ingredients that contain GMOs.
- All of our goat milk for cheesemaking comes from family farms in California and the Sierra foothills. Close partnership with our dairies provides support, new technologies, and strictly enforced guidelines to ensure the best nutrition, shelter, and natural living conditions for the goats.