Yields 4 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1 1/4 pounds ground lamb (see Notes)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Four 1/2-inch-thick slices red onion
- 4 rounds Laura Chenel’s Herb Cabecou, plus about 2 tablespoons of the packing oil (see Notes)
- About 20 large basil leaves
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- Prepare a grill to medium-hot.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the lamb, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Form the mixture into 4 patties about 5 inches in diameter.
- Grill the onions until tender, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Grill the patties until done to your liking, 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium. During the last 1 or 2 minutes of cooking, add a round of cabecou to the top of each patty.
- Arrange the basil leaves, onions, and patties on the buns. Drizzle with the cabecou oil and serve.
Spicy Cabecou or Truffle Cabecou would work here, too. These burgers are great made with ground beef as well.