Yields 4 appetizer-sized servings
Prep time: 25 minutes, plus time for freezing
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup panko
- 1 teaspoon dried herb blend, such as Herbes de Provence or Italian herb blend
- 8 rounds Laura Chenel’s Herb Cabecou, plus 3 tablespoons of the packing oil, divided (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups mixed salad greens or baby arugula (2 1/2 to 3 ounces)
- In a small, shallow bowl, combine the panko, herb blend, and 1 tablespoon of the Cabecou oil. Working one Cabecou round at a time, dip both sides into the panko mixture, pressing gently on both sides and all edges to adhere the crumbs and arranging the coated rounds on a small rimmed baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for at least an hour or, covered, up to 2 days.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake until the panko is lightly golden, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of Cabecou oil with the vinegar, shallot, salt, and pepper. Add the greens, then arrange the greens on plates or a platter.
- Arrange the baked cheese on top of the greens and serve.
This recipe is also great with Spicy Cabecou or Truffle Cabecou—for Spicy Cabecou, substitute 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes for the dried herb blend.