Tostones with Chef's Chèvre and fig rum spread
Yields 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10-20 minutes
- 2 green or slightly yellow plantains
- 1 tub of Laura Chenel's Chef's Chèvre
- 150g dried figs
- 1.5oz aged rum
- 3oz water
- 1/2tsp cinnamon
- 100g cane sugar
- pinch of salt
- enough olive oil to fill pan 1/2"
- cold salt water
- In a food processor, combine dried figs, rum, water, cinnamon, and sugar until smooth - salt to taste.
- In a nonstick skillet, fill 1/2" with olive oil and set over medium heat. To prepare plantains, slice on a sharp bias so plantains are about 1" thick. Fry until plantains start turning golden brown. Remove from oil and let drain on paper towels. transfer to cold salt water bath for at least 1 minute then remove and let dry on paper towel. Put once fried plantains back into oil and smash with spatula until less than 1/2" thick. Fry until edges are browned.
- Serve immediately on a plate with Laura Chenel's Chef's Chèvre and the fig rum spread.