Serves 4 as an appetizer
4 ounces Laura Chenel’s Original Log
1½ pounds (6 medium) beets, washed and trimmed
2 tablespoons finely minced shallots
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for taste
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
8 ounces mixed greens
½ cup walnuts, toasted
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 415°F. Place the beets on a sheet of aluminum foil on a baking sheet. Toss the beets with olive oil. Seal the foil around the beets and roast until the beets are tender, about 1 hour. Open the foil and set aside to cool.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel the beets and cut into wedges or chunks.
- For the vinaigrette: In a small bowl combine the shallots, Dijon mustard, sherry vinegar and ½ teaspoon salt. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Assembly: Place the greens and walnuts into a large bowl. Pour on the vinaigrette and toss until coated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Portion the greens and walnuts onto the serving plates. Divide the beets between the plates and crumble goat cheese on top of each salad.