Note: These can be made ahead and rewarmed just before serving. With a sparkling wine these are the perfect way to start a party.
Makes 72 appetizer size gougères
7 ounces (about 1 cup) Laura Chenel’s fresh chèvre (Original Log, Chef’s Chèvre)
1 ounce (about ¾ cup) Laura Chenel’s Tome, finely grated
1 cup water
½ cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
½ teaspoon kosher salt
⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 370°F. Heat the water, butter, salt and pepper in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir the mixture until it comes to a boil.
- Add the flour to the liquid all at once. Beat for 1 minute until the mixture begins to form a ball. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Move the mixture to the bowl of a food processor. Add the eggs one at a time, pulsing until the mixture is smooth and satiny after each addition. Add the fresh goat cheese and process until the mixture is well blended.
- Drop the paste by heaping tablespoons onto parchment lines baking sheets. Sprinkle with the Tome.
- Bake until well browned, 25-30 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking.
- Serve while still warm.