Black pepper biscuits with smoked salmon and 4 peppercorn Laura Chenel's Chabis
The biscuits are very tender and delicate. The flavor works well with fillings such as sausage, prosciutto or smoked salmon. The biscuits would also be a delicious side for soup or a salad.
Makes 48 appetizer size biscuits
- 5 ounces (⅔ cup) Laura Chenel’s 4 Peppercorn Chabis
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk, divided
- Coarse black pepper for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Using fingertips, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until a coarse meal forms.
- Rub in the fresh 4 Peppercorn Chabis until well mixed. Add ¾ cup buttermilk and stir with a fork until the dough comes together.
- Pat the dough out on a lightly floured surface into a ¾-inch round. Using a floured 1½-inch diameter cutter cut out biscuits and place on parchment lined baking sheets. Gather scraps together gently, pat out dough and cut additional biscuits.
- Brush the top of the biscuits with the remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk and sprinkle with coarse black pepper.
- Bake until golden brown, 16-18 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through baking time. Cool biscuits on rack.
Smoked Salmon Filling:
- 8 ounces hot smoked salmon
- Zest and juice from ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon good quality mayonnaise
- In a small bowl break or shred the smoked salmon into fairly large pieces.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, dill and mayonnaise to the salmon. Stir the mixture until well combined.
- Split biscuits in half horizontally. Spread bottom halves with a thin layer of sweet butter. Divide the salmon among the biscuits. Top each with a dill sprig and biscuit top.
Recipe by Chef Jacquelyn Buchanan
Laura Chenel’s, 2015